Sunday, April 12, 2009

Comfortably Numb (Again and Again)


photo by JMW
I have been out of it for quite a while. In my mind I was pledging to devote some real time, but I never realized more than a string of complaints. But right now I'm digging my heels in, to try and summarize what I think continues to subvert human lives. I know its awfully pompous to just spell things out with demanding any sort of recourse though it is part of the battle...but knowing is too. 

Can I dare challenge the summary of the past? 
Am I really that different and much more equipped than any man;
than men who in the past have spent entire days on a single thought?
 Not without their own biases of course...but to have that sense of devotion,
sense of wonder. 

But as noble as their efforts are we still carry the problems of the past.

Men still own men,
Men still own women,
Both men and women still own children,
Both are still owned by lust,
Both are still owned by power,
Both are still owned by possessions.
Both abandon their children, 
Both men and women still claim authority over another life.

With so much to consider in consumption or protection,
it is no surprise we take dramatic leaps of restitution.
Theocracy,
Monarchy,
Democracy,
Communism,
Socialism,
Anarchy,
Bloody Revolution,
 and the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse.

With all that our minds take in, we can easily be lead to these dramatic, "let's get something out of it " solutions. Problems are rarely solved they are just subsidized, isolated, or reduced.
What can prevent solutions is use of a hierarchical response system, with the levels involved the person who makes the decision can be completely removed from the problem. Even with all the diplomats and admirable (some of them) patriots full of answers, they are far from solving anything. 

A solution is viewed as total, but it rarely is. It should always be seen as lacking. Because no matter our intentions, we will always be heard the wrong way. For that reason, as well as others, we must never declare victory for the human responsibility is everlasting.

I know I need help, from someone far more dedicated than I. Which shouldn't be hard considering what I have to offer is a heightened  and over active sense of awareness. Focus is always necessary, just as is consistency. The two are not always related, just contemporaries.  

But this isn't just about the negative, what we lack, or what we continue to avoid. 
There are things that exists just to remind us of the joy and splendor, and the very reason why we struggle. 

I recently found someone who challenges me, who affirms my curiosity. She, in a short time, has shown me something completely new. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all appreciate the fragility and importance of every new moment.  With that knowledge of how delicate things  are our impulsed may be shortened. This might be some far removed dream, the world slowing down to half speed, but its values may be realized. The key is to constantly reach out, and never assume that you have arrived or know anything. A congress of active perusers for the preservation, equality and quality of human life is what we need...with all other lines erased. 

Please let me know if any of my generalizations are wrong. 



Music: Louis Prima
            Interpol
            Albert Collins
     (someone suggest some new music) 
 

3 comments:

fictional character said...

you touch upon the most basic of obstacles: we're all far better at pointing out a problem than we are at drafting a solution.

Johntheroman said...

agreed. i did state that knowing is half the problem. i was making up for lost time mentally i guess.

J said...

I'm glad that you are finding joy in the celebration of now-ness. Much of what you're putting down here reminds me of what I've been reading about Zen. I may have a book to loan you.